Hearing loss is usually gradual. In fact, it can be so gradual that your family and friends may notice it before you do. Below are ten questions that will help you determine if you, a friend, or a family member should be evaluated by a hearing healthcare professional.
1. Do you have a problem hearing over the telephone?
2. Do you have trouble following conversations when two or more people talk at the same time?
3. Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
4. Do you have to strain to understand conversation?
5. Do you have trouble hearing in a noisy background?
6. Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?
7. Do many people you talk to seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?
8. Do you misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?
9. Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?
10. Do people get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?
If you answered, “yes,” to three or more of these questions, you may want to schedule a professional hearing evaluation.
Information provided from the Hearing Health Foundation.